I think the whole world would agree that 2020 was a bit of a shit show.
I’m happy to write if off as a garbage fire and failure of a year. Currently my job is in jeopardy and all plans I have for the future have been put on hold until I find out if I will continue to bring in money. But having said that I’m healthy, my partner is healthy, and comparatively to the rest of the world Australia seems to be handling the pandemic. So at least there is that.
So when faced with all this negativity and a very long 12 months, I present to you some of my favourite things from 2020 – with some sneaky hopes and dreams for 2021 thrown in.
Recap of 2020
Continue reading “Recap of 2020 and Visions for 2021”
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee – The character arch and romantic pairing of this book was amazing and is what made this a standout of the year. If you do read this book, I would 100% recommend the audiobook as the narrator brings Monty to life!
- The House of the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune – A romantic slow burn set in a urbanesque fantasy that centres around magical children that are classed too dangerous for society. Klune’s story is so deeply emotional and enriching that I would recommend it to anyone, fantasy fan, romance fan, and general fiction fan!
- Women Don’t Owe You Pretty by Florence Given – Honestly if you only read one non-fiction book in 2020/2021 then let it be this gem. Given presents us with issues in bite size and personal chapters that challenge you to view the world outside of the toxicity that clouds topics. Honestly do yourself a favour and read this book, it has something for everyone.
2019 was a pretty decent year. Everyone I love is healthy, I have a roof over my head, a permanent job, I went on two amazing holidays, I feel closer to my partner, and I’m in enough of a financially stable position to start looking at house loans.
So as fun as it would be to say that 2019 was a garbage fire, it was actually pretty okay. Don’t get me wrong there were some rough and anger inducing times but I made it though the year without any major meltdowns or upheavals.
So below are some of the things I loved in 2019 and some quick hopes and dreams for 2020.
Recap of 2019
Continue reading “Recap of 2019 and Visions for 2020”
- Book Love by Debbie Tung – Filled with relatable comics about loving books and reading, this book was just so wholesome, full of gorgeous art, and it just got me. If have a love for all things reading you should 100% read this book!
- Super Fun Sexy Times by Meredith McClaren – I fell in love with the sex positivity, QUILTBAG inclusion, and effortlessly emotional story telling within this graphic novel. The fact that it is filled with gorgeous art and superheroes made this book one of my favourite reads of the year.
- Hottie Scotty & Mr. Porter by R. Cooper – 2019 is the year I fell in love with R. Cooper – they are the Queen of bittersweet angst and I absolutely devoured their back catalogue. Hottie Scotty & Mr Porter was one of the stand outs for me as I keep thinking about it and I already really want to give it a re-read in 2020.
Happy almost the end of 2019!
Let’s have a quick look at what I have accomplished this 2019. If you’ve been paying attention, I have been tracking my progress each month in my Small Snippets posts, so some of this may not be a surprise to you.
I have gone abysmally at rereading books this year 😰 While I did try with reading the first book of the Lunar Chronicles this year, sadly I did not pick up any other books in the below series.
❌The Lunar Chronicles by Melissa Meyer.
❌The whole Tortall series by Tamora Pierce.
❌The Seventh Tower series by Garth Nix.
❌Finish the Modern Faerie Tales series.
Continue reading “2019 Goals Rundown!”
I have a few things that I would like to get done in 2019 and since I like making lists, I thought I would share them with you all. I really want to focus on getting things done that I have been putting off for ages – a lot of these things are ones I’ve previously started or got half way through and then gave up. So 2019 is the year of the reread – rewatch – and the replay.
It’s not like I have enough to read as it is, I want to go back and give a bunch of series a reread. They’re either ones that I never finished or ones from my childhood that I want to see if they hold up.
The below aren’t really specific titles but rather authors or series that I have seen around and I want to see what they’re like.
✅ Read a Lori Foster book.
✅ Finally start a Katie Ruggle book (also known as Katie Allen)
✅ A Dreamspun Beyond book 😓 It used to be a subscription but now they’re single purchase books. Waaaah, I wanted to try a subscription 😋
✅ Watch more than the first episode of Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency.
I have so many games that I am half way through and really need to finish. I have a tendency to not finish a game even though I am really near the end because I think I need to keep playing and experiencing more of the story.
- Mass Effect 3 – my save file from Mass Effect 2 corrupted 😥 and I need to go back and play the last boss battle to get it back. It was such a blow that I haven’t been back but I just really love the series and need to finish it!
✅ Dream Daddy.