2019 was a pretty decent year. Everyone I love is healthy, I have a roof over my head, a permanent job, I went on two amazing holidays, I feel closer to my partner, and I’m in enough of a financially stable position to start looking at house loans.
So as fun as it would be to say that 2019 was a garbage fire, it was actually pretty okay. Don’t get me wrong there were some rough and anger inducing times but I made it though the year without any major meltdowns or upheavals.
So below are some of the things I loved in 2019 and some quick hopes and dreams for 2020.
Recap of 2019
- Book Love by Debbie Tung – Filled with relatable comics about loving books and reading, this book was just so wholesome, full of gorgeous art, and it just got me. If have a love for all things reading you should 100% read this book!
- Super Fun Sexy Times by Meredith McClaren – I fell in love with the sex positivity, QUILTBAG inclusion, and effortlessly emotional story telling within this graphic novel. The fact that it is filled with gorgeous art and superheroes made this book one of my favourite reads of the year.
- Hottie Scotty & Mr. Porter by R. Cooper – 2019 is the year I fell in love with R. Cooper – they are the Queen of bittersweet angst and I absolutely devoured their back catalogue. Hottie Scotty & Mr Porter was one of the stand outs for me as I keep thinking about it and I already really want to give it a re-read in 2020.
- Captain Marvel – I was late to the game with this film and watched it at a drive in theatre so I could watch Avenger: Endgame with all the films under my belt. A beautiful sci-fi set in the 90s with a kick arse main character! What more could you want?!
- Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency – This show was amazing! You need to binge watch it immediately!
- Upstart Crow – Ben Elton always shines in the half hour format. Add Shakespeare and David Mitchell and you have a hilarious about the troubled life of the bard.
- Cuz I Love You by Lizzo – I was so excited for the release of this album and it did not disappoint. It’s also so great to see how much more popular Lizzo has gotten! I’m so excited to see where she goes in 2020 😍
- Flamboyant by Dorian Electra – I was so fortunate to stumble upon this artist just before the release of their first album! Dorian Electra is the gender queer artist of my dreams!
- Palo Santo by Years & Years – Although this is only their second album, Years & Years is always in heavy rotation with me obsessing over both albums!
- Sims 4: Discover University – My lovely partner surprised me on Xmas by completing my Sims 4 collection. I was missing a few expansion packs but they went above and beyond and got all of the packs 🤩 Currently I am playing through Discover University and plan to make my way onto Realm of Magic.
- Tropico 6 – Omg I love this game so much, the island building, banana republicesque, simulation game allows you to take control and live the life of El Presidente. If you like Sims City, you will love the chilled out but cutthroat world of Tropico.
- Untitled Goose Game – So you are a goose and your goals are being a terrible person (ahem goose) to people of a town. That is it and it is perfection. Finished the game very quickly but has so much replayability and it was so fun watching my partner and their play through.
Visions for 2020
Hehe, get it 😅 2020 Vision
I have so much I want to achieve and get done in 2020 but it would be way too hard to write them all down here, so check out some of the things I am looking forward to and my blogging plans for 2020.
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons – I am so looking forward to playing Animal Crossing on the Switch and sharing my town with my partner. OR hoarding my town away and not letting anyone else play inside 😋 Either way I am counting down until this gem of a game is released in March.
- Surviving Mars – This game has been out for a while but I am looking forward to playing it as it was also one of my Xmas presents this year.
- Mr. Know-It-All: The Tarnished Wisdom of a Filth Elder: All bow down to John Waters and his films that I can stand to watch only once because they are so filthy. I love John Waters and at one point in my life was considering writing a thesis about his body of work, sadly it wasn’t so, so I get to content myself with his latest memoir/essay book.
- Stage Dreams by Melanie Gillman – I have only just found out about this book from Jess from The Never Ending Bookshelf and her booktuber recommendation of Chandler Ainsley. The graphic novel looks so cute and so up my alley, so thanks Jess!
- Taji from Beyond the Rings by R. Cooper – A recent R. Cooper fan, I am dying to read her newest book! I cannot wait because the blurb sounds so interesting and chock full of the tropes I love.
- I plan on making some changes in 2020 to some of the formats that I use regularly. So keep an eye out for a blog post that details all of the small changes happening in the future.
- I said it last year and I am saying it again, I may start a Facebook page for the blog. I am a bit hesitate because I run a social media account as part of my job and man, it can be rough going sometimes, always looking for content, staying up to date, etc. I am mainly concerned that I will start and then abandon it – so we’ll see how we go in 2020 😁
- I am considering doing a monthly post about blogging. Just small posts with hints for people who are starting out on how to push through and not burn out. Would you be interested in this? Let me know in the comments.
- 12 Tropes of 2020 – I’m looking forward to starting my 2020 Reading Challenge. I have made a blank challenge card if anyone is interested in taking part in the challenge over the year. The post has been pretty popular, so if you’re interested, simply download the image from the below button.
So that’s some highlights of 2019 and a quick rundown of my vision for 2020 – what are your plans? Are you happy to be moving onto a new year? Leave a comment and let me know!