The first month of 2019 has been good and bad. I managed to achieve a bunch so far this year in regards to getting blog posts up and ready as well as tackling my Netgalley ARC list. However, it’s been tough at work with a staff member who I worked closely with, suddenly passing away over the holiday break.
Unfortunately I was unable to attend her funeral as there were too many staff attending for everyone to be able to go 😢 It has made returning to work very bittersweet and I have found myself at times upset and short tempted while working with the public. So just remember everyone that library staff are people too and your behaviour does affect them.
*Looking at you snooty lady who wouldn’t take no for an answer when I wouldn’t sign her granddaughter up to the library (you’re not the legal guardian and didn’t have any ID – so no you weren’t entitled to a card just because) and angry dude who lost ‘two years of work’ when the 15 minute computer turned off when the time ran out (it totally gave you repeated warnings and yelling at me solved nothing). 😓😅 Rant over.
Moving on, below are some of the things I have been interacting with and enjoying over the month 😃
Brooklyn 99 – Season 5.
Omg, Brooklyn 99 just keeps getting better! There were so many amazing moments in this season, I can’t pick a favourite buuut stand outs were:
- Rosa coming out as bisexual – that speech by Jake while he was pretending to be Rosa coming out to her parents had me tearing up. So great to see some bisexual representation ❤
- The wedding vows – Man, I was emotional throughout the whole season but I was in tears and sob laughing during the wedding scene. ‘Your butt. Your butt is the bomb’ was so sweet and funny and just encapsulates why I love those two as a couple.
- That interrogation episode – If you haven’t seen it check out the episode ‘The Box.’ Such an amazing episode!
Juice by Lizzo
I’m a new fan of Lizzo – I only discovered her last year but once I heard her song Good as Hell, I was hooked.
Lizzo’s latest single, Juice, is amazing and catchy and I am in love with the 80sness of the film clip. I am looking forward to the release of a new album and honestly, since seeing her belt out a flute solo at a concert, I am in love 😍
If you’re never heard of Lizzo, do yourself a favour and check out the clip below!
Big Mouth Season 2
The second season of Big Mouth, the Netflix original (adult) cartoon is just as good as the first season. There are laugh out loud moments, cringe worthy moments, emotional moments, and moments where I just wanted to crawl up into a ball and die of second hand embarrassment.
I really enjoyed seeing the female hormone monster play a larger part – Big Mouth does pay attention to its female cast and it was great seeing the female point of view from the teenage girls. While it was terrible being taken back to terrible moments from my pwn puberty, it was really great seeing a show so honest and graphic about what teenagers go through.
For the very first time since I started reviewing on NetGalley, I was unable to provide feedback on a book. I won’t go into too much detail about the book but it was a romance that featured a sentence about how the main female protagonist didn’t really like the other romantic lead. The following sexual scene then really threw me off 😅
I’m not one to judge but it made me want to stop reading, the whole not liking someone but then sleeping with them anyway wasn’t my cuppa tea. So I decided to not give feedback rather than provide a negative review because of my own feelings.
I don’t know, what are your feelings about not providing feedback on titles?
Update on my 2019 goals.
- I ordered two copies of the Run to Ground by Katie Ruggle. I’m planning to give the extra copy to a friend of mine who wants to read more, I’m hoping that if we plan to read the book together we can meet up and chat about books and maybe make a habit of it 😊
- I made a suggestion for purchase to my library to order the eBook copy of Tithe by Holly Black. Here’s hoping the staff member that I know processes these things clicked the ‘allow purchase’ button in the software.
- I read Cinder by Melissa Myer and started the journey to reread the Lunar Chronicles Series. Scarlet here I come!